Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Hair Journey

It must have started before I even realized what was happening. I began to grow tired of what was being done to my hair. I won't go into details now but I will say that at the age of 49 it was time for a change.

I decided not to let anyone put acid in my hair ever again. I went around with an afro for many months, then I bought braids that didn't match my natural hair color.

After lots of research I decided on Sisterlocks. It took two women 15 hours to get it all done. I went through what I called my Buckwheat days:

Looking at my pictures you must notice that I am a natural blond.

This has turned a few heads. It always has but now with my locks I wonder if their heads aren't going to swivel right off their necks.

I get odd questions: "is that a wig or a mop on your head?" "Why are you wearing that funny hat, are you going to a costume party?"

I also get lots of compliments. The hardest thing is keeping people's fingers out of my hair. But I'm sure you do too.

2 comments:

  1. Your locks are beautiful! I did not go through the buckwheat stage. I was too chicken. I started locking when my hair was about 6+ inches.

    ReplyDelete