Wednesday, March 31, 2010

hair decorations part 1

A few days ago I got a set of ornaments for my hair.

I learned a couple of lessons: If your hair is blond, don’t buy gold or brown ornaments. Of course, some may argue with that but for me it’s not a good idea: obviously because the colors get lost in my hair.

Now gold jewelry looks good on my skin, as does silver: but it must be bold. I simply don’t look good with tiny delicate jewelry. The same goes for my hair. So I learned a double lesson.

Many years ago I was on a handmade necklace kick so I bought hundreds of beads. I made a few necklaces but after a while I found I preferred to string beads on journals, cards and tree and wall ornaments. I also find that some of them are too large and heavy to hang in my hair.

I bought the hair ornaments anyway because I wanted to show some love to another crafts person and I also wanted to know how other people would fashion pieces that could be applied into hair. These particular pieces are made with a wire that flexes so you can twist it into the lock

About two years ago I bought a decoration that consisted of feathers and a leather wolf emblem. (I have adopted the wolf as my spirit guide animal) This is very light and large enough to be seen. I also bought a little while back, a woven ornament that can be easily seen in my hair. These are the kinds of things I like. Both ornaments have ties instead of wire.

I am looking for more pieces that either tie or have a tiny clip. I don’t know if such clips exist. I hope someone invents one.

I also have a few cuffs that slip onto the dread. I love these. The trouble is, though, I would not put them on and take them off too often. I am afraid of doing damage to the locks. I am not comfortable with washing my hair when it is full of decorations so I have decided to put them on for certain occasions.

I will have to see what twisting and untwisting the wire decorations will do to the jewelry. I think it might be fun to tie them together. That gives me a bolder look.

As I write this I am waiting for some pony tail ties to arrive. Once they come I can say good-by to using shoestrings to tie my hair back.

No comments:

Post a Comment